Here’s a quick summary of how I organised my six day trip to Yellowstone.
- Flew Vancouver -> Salt Lake City. Picked up rental car, bought gas + groceries and drove up to near the West entrance of Yellowstone. Slept in the back of the rental off a forest service road.
- Entered via West Yellowstone and drove anti-clockwise around the loop, sorting out my backcountry permits in Grant Village. I then continued around the loop to the Cascade Lake 4K5 Trailhead just north of Canyon Village and hiked into my campsite at Wolf Lake.
- Hiked back out, check out the canyon and then drove to Mammoth HotSprings via Tower Junction. After walking around the hot springs I drove down to the Biscuit Basin parking lot which was the trailhead for my hike to tonight’s campsite at Firehole Falls.
- Hiked out and visited a bunch more geysers and hot springs in the Old Faithful areaContinued driving to the DeLacy Creek parking lot where I started walking to my next campsite ‘Bluff Top’ on the shores of Shoshone Lake.
- Hiked out and drove out the South Yellowstone gate and through Grand Teton National Park. Had an early dinner in Jackson before continuing south to a free campsite I found on Wikicamps, next to the Salt River – Whitetail Lane Recreation Area, just outside Afton.
- Drove down to Park City and did a few hours of mountain biking before driving over the hill to Salt Lake City and flying home.
4 states visited – Utah, Idaho, Montana (briefly), Wyoming